Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tiki Hut Reveal

This is my 100th post!!!  It seems like just yesterday that I started blogging.  While I have learned a lot, there is still many more things that I don't know.  It makes it harder when I use dial up internet!  I can't visit like I want to becuase it is so slow!  Since I truly live in the countryside, DSLis not offered in my area and I've been trying to find a decent satellite internet service that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  I do want thank all of my followers and the visitors that stop and leave such lovely comments.  I do read each and every one of them!

Now, on to the tiki hut.... We put in our pool last year and yes, I mean "we."  Well my husband and son anyway, but that is a story for another day.  Once the pool was in, my husband starting thinking about a tiki hut.  Of course, we hadn't planned on this before the pool and concrete went in.  We kinda think of things as we go along!
We were in a nursery in Baton Rouge one day and he saw these behind one of the buildings.  They were previously some type of trellis and were sold for $1000!  I think that's why they weren't sold, they were too high!  Anyway, the manager agreed to sell them to us for $10 a set.  I think my husband ended up getting four sets.
This is what it looks like today.  He used 2 of the panels and dismantled a couple more for the roof.
The skinny bamboo was actually cut off the side of the road!  Since the bigger bambo was too big in diameter to use nails, he used long bolts to secure them together.
We stained it last year but it seems that we may need to do it again.  We purchased the thatch online though Home Depot.  At the time, I search the web and they had the cheaper price.
He secured it to the fence to make it extra sturdy. We had planned this area for a small table and chairs.  If we had planned ahead of time (which we never do), I would have made this larger.
I picked this up recently at a yard sale.  I painted it green with a little hint of blue and hung it in the hut.
The two chairs were in someone's trash! I've had them for about 7 years now.  I think I have painted them just about every color you can imagine but I like the black best for this area.  
Here's a view of it at night with the lights on in the hut and all the torches lit.  My husband is tiki torch crazy!  I think he has about 25 of them in the backyard alone!  and that's in addition to the landscape lights!
I'm not completely satisfied with the small amount of furniture I have in it.  People really like sitting here and there's usually extra chairs crammed in there.  Oh, well, one day I'll have one of those light bulb moments and I'll know what I want to do...hopefully...unless you have some ideas you could share with me?  I'd love to hear from you....

Pin It

Sharing with:
Home Sweet Home Friday @ The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at the picket fence 
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground 
Feature Friday @ Redoux
Addicts (not so) Anonymous @ Addicted 2 Decorating  
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tater Tots and Jello
Weekend Craft Soiree @ Homemaker in Heels
Sundays Best @ My 1929 Charmer

15 comments:

  1. Very nice...I love to have quaint little areas in the yard to sit and relax. Bravo on scooping up those scraps and your hubs making a fabulous tiki hut!

    Looks very inviting.


    MJ
    Lucky 7 Design

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with your husband's skills. Your tiki hut is fabulous. No wonder people like to sit under it. FUN, FUN, FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great! Definitely a place I would want to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks a lot for this amazing walk!

    have a nice weekend,
    elena

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful! I can see why someone would want to sit there! Congrats on your 100th post!!! Yes, there is a lot to learn, but it is fun!

    Your husband did an awesome job on this tiki hut!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of this project. I love how the ceiling of the "hut" looks. Have you considered bulit in benches with comfortable cushions? Maybe in a u shape? That would give you maximum seating. And then somehing unusual in the middle for a cocktail table.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the lovely comments! I would answer each but I still can't get my "Reply" link to work.

    Robin, I did consider a bench across the back but not in a u shape! And for something unusual, I just gave my mom a pineapple garden stool for Mother's Day. I might have to go back and get me one! Thanks so much for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! What a great job you guys did! I just love it! Thank you for sharing this with us this week at TTF. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tiki hut. The inside roof is amazing. Congrats on 100 post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is seriously cool! good job! visiting from TT&J

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! What a neat project. I bet your yard is ther place to be!
    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  12. New Follower.........love your hut!

    Cathy's Cupboard Calamity <;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tammy, this is such a great spot. Can't believe you all did this pool by your lonesomes. wow. and btw, what's "a plan"? I don't ever have one either! thanks for linking up to VIF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your tiki hut is quite impressive. Your husband did a fantastic job on that. I can tell you will have it set up underneath beautifully just the way you like it soon. You have great design. We just put in a pool last year and I am doing more outdoor decorating with that this year too. I have enjoyed seeing your blog and am one of your newest followers now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband built a pergola in our back yard, and it is also everyone's favorite place to sit. We ended up dismantling out ugly deck because it fell into disuse because of the lovely pergola. Your tiki hut looks like a beautiful place to sit, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~