Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ballard Copy Cat Lamp with Seagrass Shade


SAM_5204
This is my first time joining in at the Copy Cat Challenge over at DebbieDoo’s.  I've never joined before because I can’t seem to make up my mind about what to do.  I mean, everywhere you turn there is amazing inspiration!  I had been planning on doing this project for my office and decided to go and ahead and finish so I could join in.
I love the sea grass shades that you see at Ballard Designs!  After Hunter came home with this vintage lamp that looked at LOT like the tasseau lamp that Ballard has, I decided to make my own seagrass shade.
SAM_5197
This is the Ballard lamp.  The one pictured here is in a rubbed black finish.  Forgive the rumpled look of the catalog, I have looked though it quite a few times.
And this is a close up of the Ballard shade. 
SAM_5186
I saw another DIY seagrass shade made by thecountrychiccottage.net.  She used a seat cover that was made of the same material as my placemat.
I purchased the shade from Wal-Mart for $10 and already had the placemat.
SAM_5187
This is the lamp that Hunter had.  The bottom part of the base is a lot like the tasseau lamp but the top part has a faux candle slip cover thing. It is old and had the cloth covered electrical cord so I got Hunter to rewire it for me.
SAM_5190
Here’s a closer look at the placemat.  I unraveled it by clipping the threads.  I then started hot gluing from the bottom of the shade.
SAM_5192
I made sure the first row was straight and covered the bottom outside edge of the shade.  At the end of the run, I cut the material and glued end to end.  I started the next run directly on top of the previous one.
SAM_5194 
I made sure that my rows stayed as straight as possible.  After I completed all the rows, I glued a vertical piece over the seams, tucking in under at the bottom.
SAM_5195
It took less than one placemat to do this shade and was very easy.
SAM_5200
It’s home, for now, is in the entry way.  Once I get my office completed, it will be moved to my desk.  I considered painting the lamp base but I kind of like it how it is and my desk is white so the darker finish will look better in there.
SAM_5204
Thanks for stopping by!
Sharing with:

Weekend Craft Soiree @ Homemaker in Heels
Copy Cat Challenge @ Debbie Doos
Sizzle Into Summer @ DIY by Design
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage
Cowgirl Up @ The Farmhouse Porch
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Home & Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Tutorial, Tips & Tidbits @ StoneGable
Home & Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Wildly Original Round Up @ I Gotta Create   
Thrifty Things Thursday @ The Thrifty Grove
Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense
Home Sweet Home Friday @ The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at the picket fence
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

59 comments:

  1. Awesome copy Tammy! I love that cabinet and pretty vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!!! I night have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great copycat project. I saw you over at Debbie's party. I love that you used an old placemat. You are super clever. I'd love for you to link up this project tonight at my party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!! I'm your latest follower and I love the lampshade, I will definately be trying that!!
    Can't wait to look back at your older post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well allllllllllright.. this is creative genius at its best..

    fabulous copy- love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy that was super clever of you to think of that. I never would have in a million years! Looks awesome. Thanks so much for joining in on the copy cat party. Enjoy! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever and beautiful copycat! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!! Such a cute and clever idea!! love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy: I really like your lampshade. How creative you are and it looks as good if not better than the original..Good work..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tutorial and pictures. I love the dark base of your lamp with its new updated shade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this one is my fave from the CCC! love it! girl you rocked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pineapple table was ingenious use of found treasures. The grass lampshade was so clever. I'm glad I joined your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant!! I like it even better than the inspiration one. ;)
    <3 Christina
    I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original Round up party is open

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tammy, Can you see my jumping up and down and doing the happy dance of joy! I am so so excited you posted this! I love love love seagrass shades. I'm making this right away. My lampshades on my mantle would look great done like this!
    Thanks for sharing this super awesome tutorial at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great coycat Tammy. I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great! I can't believe you used a placemat! What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! :) So happy you saw my tutorial and could use it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic design, and using unwinding an old placemat is brilliant! I really love the finished lamp. Now I have to find one of those placemats so I can do the same thing.

    PS - visiting from StoneGable. Hope you'll stop by and see my homemade gnocchi tutorial.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your copycat. I love Ballard Designs! *awesome*

    Linking from Debbiedoo's,
    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! Using the placemat was a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. HOLY COW! That was GENIUS. I never would even have thought of that. And it really does look just like it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Saw this on the Cowgirl Up link-up party. Love it! Thanks for sharing how you did it. Now, I can copy you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! I'm featuring you on Facebook today: http://www.facebook.com/iGottaCreate
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant idea! and the best part is that is not expensive at all.

    Thanks!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my GOsh! You did a great job! I love it! :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello! I came from common ground and I knew it would be the right blog to visit.
    I love your lamp! It is great! Thanks for sharing!

    Ciao Bella
    Sensible Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great Job! What a gorgeous lamp, and thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Tammy! You did a fantastic job on this knock off! It turned out great! Thank you for sharing at TTF and have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very beautiful and very clever! It is gorgeous! I will be featuring your post in tonight's Home and Garden party - I do appreciate you sharing,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just fantastic! I'm sending this to a friend right now, it's genius!
    Cheers, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a cool idea! I love all things beachy so going to have to try this one out. x

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so beautiful Tammy--really precision work on your part to get all the lines to line up straight--lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is the best tutorial I have seen in a LONG time!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL be trying this, I have ALOT of seagrass placemats! I ADORE seagrass shades but would never spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$!!! Thank you again! I will save this post. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  34. Okay.....this is so amazing! I love it! I am pinning it....and making one for me. Thank you so much for the amazing inspiration!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is one great copy cat! You hit it outta the park!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome Knock off Tammy! What a great idea to rip apart that placemat and repurpose it! I recently used a roll of jute and some cast of knobs to make some nautical knob knockoffs. Love great ideas to save $, be crafty, and create a beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, that is so smart! Love it!~ Thanks for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  38. Tammy I came over from Yvonne's and am thrilled with this lamp and shade. I will be doing this project soon! Perfect for my Office/ Den!

    Thank you for sharing!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my gosh! I love that idea! I'm visiting from stonegable. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Never in a million years would I have thought of that. Awesome idea! Your post is so inspirational. I would love it if you could share this wonderful post at our WIW linky party. I hope you can join us.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have wanted one of those lamp shades from Ballard for about two years now and have never been able to fork over the $$$. Thanks so much for this tutorial! I will for sure be making one of these.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love, love, love this! It looks just as good as the Ballard's!!

    http://claudiasyear.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tammy,

    I tried to e-mail you.....but it came back :( Would you mind if I posted a picture of this on facebook?

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love it!! I have to try this too!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Adorable...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Awesome, I am pinning this from Debbie's pinning party. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  47. Amazing knock-off! How clever to use the placemat...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  48. You're a genius! It looks gorgeous! I am now following, so I don't miss any more projects. :)
    Lisa
    akawest.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. You're a STAR tonight in the "lamp lineup" over at I Gotta Create!

    Thanks so much for partying with The Wildly Original Crowd!
    <3 Christina

    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/11/10-brilliant-lamp-ideas-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  50. I LOVE this and your little chandelier shades too! Thanks so much for the DIY tips...I'm going to SOOOOO do this!!! (If I can find placemats!)
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love the lamp shade makeover and out of a placemat?? Awesome! I'm going to be looking for some seagrass placemats now to try on my own. Great project! Pinning this one!

    ReplyDelete
  52. this idea is amazing painting ideas. i had to make one as soon as i saw it. thank you for posting such a unique idea. ours turned out beautifully

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~