Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sleeping Porches


I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. Psalms 4:8
 
 
I remember when I was quite young, visiting a cabin in the woods with my mom.  The cabin was nothing fancy but I was enthralled by the “bedroom!”  It was on the porch!
 
 
This was in the 70’s and a young couple lived there so I thought it was just a hippy thing but it was SOooo cool!
 
 
As I grew up, I realized it wasn’t a hippy thing!  People have been doing this for like….forever!  The above picture is from a restored historic site that represents life in the 1930’s.
 
 
 
Down here in Louisiana, if you sleep outside without being screened in, you’ll probably be carried away by mosquitoes!
 
 
If you didn’t have a screen in porch or if you lived before screen was invented, you would use mosquito netting!  Almost all the historic homes in our area, have netting attached to the tester beds.
 
 
In the summer months, beds would be moved to the porch to take advantage of the cooler night temperatures.  Heck, why not just moved the whole family out there, especially if you have a fantastic view like this!
 
 
To see more great sleeping porches, visit this Pinterest page!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Sharing with:
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll thru Life
Open House @ No Minimalist Here
Tuesdays Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
The Scoop Link Party @ The Farmhouse Porch
Project Inspired @ Artsy Chicks Rule
Be Inspired Friday @ Common Ground
Fabulously Creative Party @ Jennifer Rizzo
Tweak it Tuesday @ Cozy Little House
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch to Yours
Share Your Creativity @ It's Overflowing
Seasonal Sunday @ The Tablescaper
The Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
   

12 comments:

  1. Sigh...I love taking naps outside, but a bed there?! That would indeed be pure heaven! Thanks for sharing Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been on a sleeping porch but I always admire them. NJ isn't big on the sleeping porch thing. I think these are just so pretty.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine sleeping at night out on one of those beautiful porches...cool temps, crickets, night birds...ahhhh....Yep I think when we finish our back porch....a bed is a must....Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful. I loved every one of them. I have my youngest daughters daybed on our back porch. Hubbie and I made it for her when she was just 5 or 6 years old. I have never tried sleeping there at night, but I can take some really good naps during the day when the weather is cool enough. I have been planning to put mosquito netting up, but to many projects and not enough time. Hopefully this fall.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that people used to do this long ago - have sleeping porches - as there was no such thing as AC! Nowadays, I think this is more for decorative purposes and little daytime siestas. Whatever they're used for, they sure are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the porch with the sweet beds that have the incredible quilts, I would love to sleep on that porch right now...Loved the post...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I will take any one of them, please. Gorgeous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew that people DID this but never saw any pictures of it. FUN post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now if we could just find a quick and cheap way to copycat it....LOL. I've always loved sleeping porches....especially on autumn nights...Thanks for sharing it

    XO,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of a sleeping porch! I'm imagining laying out there with a breeze coming in listening to the sound of crickets and frogs and watching lightning bugs. Ahhh. Wish I had one!
    I am a new follower and look forward to seeing more from you!
    -Khammany

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! I love this idea! What a great post! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been infatuated with the idea for some time but I cannot get over my fear of bugs! How do these people keep bugs out of the bedding? Too terrified to try it :/ But still infatuated!

    XO
    CorinnaAshley.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~