Sunday, November 3, 2013

Framing a Map

 

framed map

 

A favorite past time of mine is researching genealogy.  My husband’s ancestors were some of the first settlers to the New Orleans area.  When I first saw this map years ago, I was so excited to be able to place some of the plantations owned by his ancestors.  This past March, while attending the Audubon Pilgrimage, I found a copy  at the Historical Society in West Feliciana Parish.  Since that time, it has been patiently waiting for me to frame it.

 

framing a map

 

I started by trying to age it but that didn’t really work out due to some type of coating on the paper.  After using tea and coffee, the only thing that did work was rubbing it with a little stain.  This helped to tone down the brightness a little. 

Using a piece of 1/4 plywood, Hunter cut it to fit leaving a 2 inch space on the outer edges for the frame.

 

framing a map

 

I used a yardstick to draw straight lines to make sure I had it center and used spray adhesive to secure it to the board.

 

framing a map

 

Instead of choosing a fancy piece for molding for the frame, I went with a plain 1X2 pine.  I was just going to square it off since I didn’t trust myself to cut the angles right but my husband come walking though and told me, “You can’t do that!"  So he took it and cut it for me!  I have to admit sometimes I act a little lost on purpose because I know he’ll grab it up and do it for me!

 

framing a map

 

I stained it and was going to liquid nail it into place but once again my husband came though the kitchen and got the brad nailer and fixed it for me!

 

framed map of the Mississippi River Plantations

 

Here it is in the sunroom which is almost finished!  The map is quite large and takes up the small wall.

 

framed map

 

I just love it!  In case anyone wants one, I have seen them online at Zazzle.  Have a blessed week!

 

Sharing with:

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll thru Life

Open House @ No Minimalist Here

Tuesdays Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

The Scoop Link Party @ The Farmhouse Porch
Project Inspired @ Artsy Chicks Rule

Be Inspired Friday @ Common Ground

Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Fabulously Creative Party @ Jennifer Rizzo

5 comments:

  1. It looks great Tammy! I love it. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I do that too and my sweet hubby always rescues me. Your map looks great, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,
    Great job it looks really wonderful.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect Tammy! And that map is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Don't worry about the baseboards! Ours have been installed for seven years and are still not...painted. :) The map is really gorgeous. Reminds me of the one at Oakley.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~