Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dirty Rice For the Recipe Box

Remember Ms. Lucy from last week's recipe, well here's another great recipe from her show.  This recipe makes a lot so we usually freeze the leftovers.  I think some people may refer to this as rice dressing.  Now, it does have gizzards in it.  I wouldn't tell anyone that for a long time because they wouldn't even try if they knew!  I'm not a fan of gizzards either but that is what makes this dish and if you put them in the food processor and chopped them down fine you won't even realize they are there.

Ingredients

2 cups uncooked rice
1 lb ground meat
1 lb gizzards
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup cup chopped green bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped green onions
salt, pepper and red pepper to taste

Cook your rice, set aside.  Brown your ground meat, drain, set aside.  Boil your gizzards until done.  Drain liquid, chop in food processor until FINE.

Saute the chopped vegetables in a pan until soft. Add in the ground meat and gizzard.  Add in the rice.  Stir really well to mix it up good.  Add salt, pepper and red pepper to taste.  I like mine a little spicy but not so hot I can't enjoy it. 

And that's it!  Simple but delicious! The original recipe called for 1 cup of oil and I have tried to reduce even lower than 3/4 of a cup but it didn't have the right consistency.  I also did not add as much celery as originally called for.

If you try it, I'm sure you'll like it!  Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It

Sharing with:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Show Your Stuff @ Just Winging It
Foody Friday @ Designs by Gollum
On the Menu Monday @ StoneGable
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

3 comments:

  1. It sure looks good!

    If that's a picture of your home on your blog banner I can just see it all decked out for the 4th of July! I love homes with grand porches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy rice dish - I don't think I've ever had dirty rice, but it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dirty rice, and just might try this (I'm Cajun; I can't help myself). Are gizzards a common ingredient in the rice, or is a Ms. Lucy addition?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~