Monday, May 28, 2012

Pottery Barn Knock Off

I have been waiting patiently for chairs in my breakfast area.  I need a pair that would not too bulky or too tall.  Last week, I stopped in at the Goodwill and there they were! 


I quickly went over and staked my claim while checking them out.  They were strong and sturdy.  Not too small, not too big.  Wasn't too crazy about the oak since I already have a lot of wood tones in my room anyway but that wasn't a deal breaker!  The seats were indented a little but that's easy to fix as well.  So, in the back of the truck they went.

Once I got them home, I was very happy with the size.  My little breakfast area isn't too big and to be honest it only seems to get used at holidays.  Everyone seemed to pile into that corner.  This past year we extended the banquet under the window so now this area seats quite a few people for the space!

Once my husband got home, he wasn't too enthused about them.  I started doubting myself but there was also this nagging thought in the back of my mind that I had seen a chair similar to this.  While thumbing though my Pottery Barn catalog for the 1000th time, this picture jumped out at me!  Except for the front legs, my chairs look almost just them!  My first thought was "why am I listening to my husband, men don't really know anything about decorating."  I mean, they're in the Pottery Barn catalog for goodness sake!  You can't go wrong with them!  The Pottery Barn chairs are $178, I paid $11.99 each!  I love a good deal!

Now, I needed to paint them!  I wasn't looking forward to sanding them and have seen a lot of great projects using chalk paint.  I read a few blogs, got a few ideas and decided to make my own.  I purchased my Plaster of Paris from Home Depot in the powder form.  I had heard that it will dry up on you and when I saw it in this powder form, I thought it would last longer.  I mixed one cup of blue paint, 2/3 cup Plaster of Paris, and 1/3 cup water.  I mixed it up really good and started painting.  Once the Plaster of Paris and water was mixed in, it seemed to change my blue more to a grayish blue.
.

This is a chair after I finished painting!


The chalk paint was really easy to work with.  I had read where others had to add more water to get the right consistency but mine seemed to be fine.  It wasn't too thick, it actually brushed on really well with hardly no dripping.


After the chairs dried, I let them set over night.  The next day I started waxing.  Oh, I didn't enjoy this part at all!  I don't know if it was the Minwax paste wax I used or what.  After they were waxed, I started buffing and buffing.  Thankfully, it's finished!  and I am very pleased with the outcome.


So, how did I do?  I started by wanting a little more blue color but the grayish blue works well in this area.  Oh, I also forgot to mention that I attempted to stain the bottoms but it didn't work!  I tested it on the bottom side but it was a no go!  My mom is going to make cushions for the benches so I'm wondering if I should put a cushion on each chair?

Pin It

Sharing with:

Magazine Copy Cat Challenge @ Debbie Doo's Blogging & Blabbing
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Tuesdays Treasures @ Myuncommon Slice of Suburbia  
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday @ Kathe with an E 
Tuesday  Your Cozy Home Party @ Cozy Home Scenes       
Swing into Spring Party @ DIY by Design http://diybydesign.blogspot.com
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage 
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Home Sweet Home Friday @ The Charm of Home 
Inspiration Friday at the picket fence
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Feature Friday @ Redoux  
fridady Addicts (not so) Anonymous @ Addicted 2 Decorating
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors   

40 comments:

  1. Tammy I love your chairs. They do look a lot like the PB ones, but at a much better price. I really like them without a cushion - love the texture of the seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! What a bargain find. I love your corner breakfast area too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an outstanding job! Make the cushions and you have the option of using or not using and changing it up a bit. I like options! We arrived in WI yesterday, but your Goodwill is on my lists of 'day trips' when we get back in the fall! Enjoy the holiday!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chairs and I love the color. They looks amazing. You banquette is fabulous. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great knockoff! Your breakfast area is just perfect, so inviting. No wonder people gather there. I have a painting project coming up and I think I will try your chalk paint. Thanks for the instructions on mixing.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your chairs! You really got a wonderful deal! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the chairs. I had to laugh about your husband. I brought a chair home last year and he was appalled. Of course it's done and beautiful now and he agrees, but I now don't ask his opinion about chairs. haha.

    I love the color and how they fit in the space so well. I like the idea of putting pads on them too to match what you do with the bench.

    You really did a beautiful job!

    Visiting from BNOTP and looking forward to following.

    Have a great weekend.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - what a great steal, Tammy! Can't believe how much they look like the PB ones!!! Your paint technique is just spot on, too! I think they would look so pretty (and maybe be more comfortable?) with a thick white cushion on them. :) GREAT job!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm impressed! You did a great job. Thanks for the info on making your own chalk paint. I want to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the chairs and your makeover is great. They look perfect in that spot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you did a Fabulous job and they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the chairs! I think adding cushions would be nice. You can always go without but at least you can bring in more color or pattern to the area if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tammy: Those chairs are great and what a deal you got and they look just like Pottery Barn. The color came out so good and I think they look great without a cushion, but would look great with one too. It is a really pretty corner..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the chairs, what a great find!! The price makes them even better!!! The color you chose is pretty too!! Your breakfast room looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a find! They look great! Husbands don't know! Michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are perfect, I like your better then PB :) Thanks for linking up.
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  17. The chairs look beautiful! The whole space is perfect! I love the pillows :)
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got a great deal and they truly do look like the Pottery Barn version. I too bought some plaster of paris in hopes of making my own chalk pain. I've heard lots of stories about drips and blobs of plaster, so I'm glad to hear yours turned out okay. Makes me feel more at ease to try mine now.

    I've enjoyed this post, so I'll be adding it to twitter in a few minutes. Thanks so much for linking up to Your Cozy Home Party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifully done! I am saving your recipe for chalk paint! I love the natural feel of the seats as they are but then I picture someone sitting on one wearing shorts and I then I think I would want a pad on it. I'd have the pads made and then you have them to try out. If they don't work for you, store them for when little guests are visiting for nap pillows? Thanks so much for sharing this at the party this week ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great find and an incredible transformation. Well done you! Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow good work on making your own chalk paint. I haven't tried it yet. You did a great job on the chairs. I love how they turned out!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the greyish blue color. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those turned out EXACTLY like PB! Great eye!!
    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that is amazing!!! Very creative. I hope you'll visit me at My Dream Canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very pretty, Tammy! I think they were well worth what you spent for this outcome. Love the color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How did you do? Are you KIDDING me? You did fantastic! I love this copycat, and you saved so much money!!! You did an amazing job. Got to love this project!

    Linking from Debbiedoo's,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Tammy,
    This revamping turn-out so well.

    You over-ruled PB in this case. Job well done.

    Happy day to you.
    /CC

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Tammy what a fantastic makeover. They look awesome. Thanks for sharing with both my parties!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Tammy, came over from copy cat party.
    Your chairs look amazing and what a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great job and what a lucky find. they turned out fabulous!! came over from the copy cat challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The chairs look great, & you may have inspired me to paint my oak kitchen set. I have that chalk paint recipe written down but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Your blog looks like a fun place to spend some time, so now I'm a new follower!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pshhhhhh - your creative eye spot some good chairs - you made them perfect for your breakfast area - and buffing the wax is very good exercise! I am sure your husband couldn't help but be impressed! I am so glad you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  33. HoLy CoW....these are amazing and if you'd not told us where you got them, I would have guessed PB. They look just like them.
    And, as you said, it can't be wrong if it's in PB and THEY have cushions in their chairs so I say YES to cushions. :))
    You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, these chairs are perfect for your little nook! Nice paint job. I think a cushion would be nice, or you could just do a little tie on slip that kind of lets the wicker show through. I have used the Minwax a lot and actually love the finish you get after buffing. You do have to work hard! I have used all kinds of waxes - the expensive and the cheap (Minwax) and I think they all have their positive points. If it is the buffing you don't like, you won't like any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Tammy!

    I have this style chair in my dining room and they are usually called Napoleon chairs. You got a great deal!
    I bet your husband likes them now that they are painted. I love your banquette and think that matching cushions all around would look fabulous!

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete
  36. These turned out fabulous! Love the color! I just painted mine like this too. Great job. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  37. so glad to find your blog and the chalk paint recipe. Your chairs are gorgeous, love the subtle color. They'll go anywhere and congrats on finding the PB look alikes. What a score. My hubbs can't seem to see what I do with my bargains but when I'm done he's not so doubting. I like it and have learned not to let him discourage me. He has very different tastes from mine.
    Keep reading about the awesome finds people get at their goodwill. Guess I just don't get there soon enough. The prices at ours in Grand Junction, CO have retail prices. We have a thrift store in a small town close to us so I find more things there that are more affordable. I'm a new subscriber.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~