Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Jackson Family's Chocolate Sheet Cake


Today, I'm sharing my all time favorite chocolate cake recipe.  I like chocolate but I'm more of a white cake with buttercream frosting kindof girl but my daughter prefers chocolate.  So when I got my copy of "Cooking with Paula Deen" in the mail and saw this recipe, I had to try it for her.  This was the May/June 2010 issue and it had an article written by Mattie Jackson.  She writes about her relationship with her father, Alan Jackson. 

Oh, yeah!  As soon as I hear his name I start singing "Where I come from, it's cornbread and chicken....."  I can't seem to get it out of my head!  Anyway, her dad's favorite (and her's) summer recipe was their family's classic chocolate sheet cake recipe.  Let me tell you, IT IS FANTASTIC!  Sweet, chocolaty, moist, heaven in a pan. I was going to scan the picture from the magazine to include in the post but there are too many food stains on it!  Yes, over the past 2 years I have made it quite a few times.  It is super easy to make.  It's one of those recipes where I used the Saco powdered buttermilk that I told you about in a post a couple of weeks ago.  On to the recipe....

Chocolate Sheet Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
1/2 cup whole buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
Chocolate Icing (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a 13X9 inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, and salt; set aside.  In a large saucepan, combine butter, oil, cocoa, and water, whisking until blended.  Bring just to a boil mover medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts and mixture is smooth.  Add chocolate mixture, buttermilk, baking soda, vinegar, vanilla and eggs to flour mixture, beating at medium speed with a mixer until smooth.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Punch holes in the cake with a fork or an ice pick.  Pour Chocolate Icing over hot cake.  Cool completely on a wire rack.


Chocolate Icing
Makes enough icing for one 13x9 inch cake
1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons whole milk
1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cocoa, and milk; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat; add confectioners' sugar and vanilla.  Transfer mixture to a large bowl.  Beat at medium speed with a mixer until smooth.


Adapted from "Who Says You Can't Cook It All", by Alan Jackson, Second Edition. 
Pin It

Sharing with:
Show Your Stuff @ Just Winging It
Foody Friday @ Designs by Gollum
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Home & Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Show Us Your Desserts @ Kelly's Korner Blog


6 comments:

  1. This is one of our favorite chocolate sheet cakes. I also have a "White Texas Sheetcake" recipe that is a good counterpoint to the chocolate one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...this looks and sounds amazing. I do love a nice chocolaty piece of cake on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I STILL cannot get my "reply" button to work!

    Thank you for the lovely comments!

    Martha, I'll have to try the Texas White Sheet cake. Thanks for recommending it!

    Yvonne, The whole cake was gone the next day! To me it's even better after it sits overnight!

    Kate, Especially with a tall glass of ice cold milk!

    Blessings, Tamm

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look so good! I have a Texas Sheet cake recipe from Taste of Home many years ago that this makes me think of. I didn't know Alan Jackson had any cookbooks out! I love that man! I'll have to look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous! I love chocolate and chocolate loves me.ha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~