Sunday, June 17, 2012

Candlewick or Boopie Glass?


Several years ago, I purchased 6 pretty tea glasses from a yard sale for $2.  I REALLY liked them so much that I started trying to find out a little bit about them.  I discovered they were Boopie or Candlewick glasses.  I purchased 2 more off ebay to round off my little set to 8.
My husband stopped in at a moving sale on his way to work last week and saw a box of these glasses.  He knew I really liked them and purchased the box and brought them home to me as a surprise.  And boy was I surprised and so very happy with my new glasses!
The nice lady is even going to call my husband when she finds the sherbet glasses that she misplaced.  Then on Saturday, I went to the Goodwill and found a matching cordial glass for 59 cents!
I posted my good fortune on my facebook page.  Well, one of my lovely followers asked for a picture because she didn't know what candlewick glasses looked like.


So, before posted the picture I wanted to find out more about the glass.  And what did I learn?  Candlewick is different from Boopie!  I'm sure most of you already know this but I just assumed that the names was being used for the same pattern.  It seems that the balls on the Candlewick pattern do not touch where as the Boopie balls do.  The Imperial Glass Company produced Candlewick from the 1920's until the mid 1950's.  Anchor Hocking started producing Boopie, which was originally known as Berwick, in the 1950's.  I obtained this information from Bargain Hunting and Treasure Seeking.  Click here to see more.




To make a long story short, my iced tea glasses are Candlewick but all the others that my husband purchased were Boopie.  Do I care?  Not one little bit but it's nice to know exactly what I have.  My husband gave me 10 water glasses, 3 cordial and 6 liqueur glasses.  The liqueur glasses is the perfect size to use as those little sampler dishes that everyone is selling.  Now I just need to find me some little spoons!
Pin It
Sharing with:
Thrifty Treasures @ Southern Hospitality
Flea Market Finds @ Her Library Adventures
Thrift Share Monday @ Apron Thrift Girl
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage

12 comments:

  1. Tammy - I also thought they where the same! I don't have any but I think they are very pretty. Your collection is growing fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,
    I have the same glasses in Forest Green. My mom had them when I was a kid, they were given away in tea or oatmeal I think. My collection has expaned to all 5 sizes and trying to collect 15 of each, They have really gone up in price since I started. You really got a good deal.
    I read some where that they were the poor man's crystal......not so true now.
    Always love your post!
    Cathy's Cupboard Calamity <;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well isn't that interesting. Thank you for sharing that information. If I ever see any, I will know what I'm getting. Either way, they are both pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect and love these as well, and inherited some juice glasses from a great aunt and loved them so much that I started collecting and have purchased various Candlewick pieces over the years.

    By the way, you might try a restaurant supply store in your area for the dessert spoons. I recently purchased some that are small and silver plastic for my shot glass/dessert cups from one in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Tammy,

    Now I have to check mine! I love these, my husband's aunt had them and she knew I loved them so she left them for me! I too have been buying them whenever I see them..Had no idea there were two different kinds either! You however got the deals on them...I have to pay more attention since I haven't gotten the deals you have. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the lesson in identifying these patterns! I have the "Burple" glasses in green from my husband's grandparents and adore them. Still looking for the sherbets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to disappoint you, but ALL the pieces you have a Boopie. Tumbers, such as you have, made by Imperial Glass and named Candlewick have a slightly different shape, and a completely different base. You're right, the difference in the two companies beads are that one touches, and one does not, but the example you show in tumblers, they ALL touch. Please, go to www.replacements.com and look under Imperial Glass and the pattern Candlewick. Lastly, Boopie glass has a "safe" edge to it, a slight roll or rim. Imperial Glass did not use that technique. Their rims are not rolled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an additional comment... Boopie is the pattern made by Anchor Hocking. Candlewick is a pattern made by Imperial Glass. Here is the Candlewick pattern... http://www.replacements.com/webquote/IMCCANDLEWI.htm
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/IMCCANDL.htm

    And here is Boopie by Anchor Hocking
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/AHCBOO.htm

    Notice that the base of the two patterns is very different. The "circles" are similar, but the patterns are not.

    This is something that confuses many. But Anchor Hocking was a less expensive version than Candlewick. Both patterns are popular, and both are nice, but the Candlewick pattern is a lot more expensive.

    Happy crystal hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this! I have a question, as I am about to buy a set and am trying to decide which to go with--which are more dishwasher friendly, Boopie or Candlewick? Would you say that Candlewick is noticeably more delicate/fragile?? We do have children, so I want a set that is durable but still lovely, and am afraid that actual Candlewick is too precious for the day-to-day wear and tear from our curtain climbers...thanks so much, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Picked up a couple pieces this week. Both Candlewick. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello to all! My father is looking to sell all of the candlewick my mother had collected before she passed away. It is over 200 pieces, everything from large punch bowls to salt and pepper shakers. If anyone is interested in buying some of them, please email me at mjmorris515@yahoo.com. I'm trying to help out my 80 year old father who isn't very computer savvy... thank you, Mark.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~