Thursday, April 12, 2012

Lady and Son's Chicken Pot Pie - Super Delicious


 Are you ready for some good home cooking?  Well, here it is, Chicken Pot Pie!  Oh, yeah!  On my search for the perfect chicken pot pie, I saw the Deen Brothers on Good Morning America.  They were cooking chicken pot pie and peach cobbler.  At first, I just watched but when I heard them say that this was the recipe used in their restaurant plus it was the most requested dish, I grabbed my pen and paper.  You see, I had tried some of Paula's other recipes for this dish but they were not that "perfect" one.

I did make a few changes but nothing major.  Instead of cooking the boneless breasts whole, I cubed them up before sauteing them in the olive oil.  I also reduced the amount of chicken.


Their recipe called for 2 cups of peas and 2 cups of carrots.  I used 3 cups total, using peas, carrots AND potatoes.


Instead of a puff pastry, I use a regular pie shell.


Doesn't it look delicious!  Believe me, it is!  If you like chicken pot pie, you have to try this recipe.


So, I guess you want the recipe, huh?  Well, here it is:

Lady and Son's Chicken Pot Pie

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup unsalted butter (2/3 stick)
1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups heavy cream
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups frozen green peas
2 cups cooked diced carrots
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from a 17.5-ounce package)
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken in the oil for 12 to 15 minutes or until cooked through, reducing the heat if necessary. Transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. When it is cool enough to handle, chop it into bite size pieces.

2. In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the flour; cook and stir for 1 minute.


3. Slowly pour in the cream, and then stir in the bouillon cubes. Stir in the chicken, peas, carrots, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley. Pour the mixture into a 9-inch round baking pan.

4. On a lightly floured surface, unfold the pastry and cut a 10-inch circle. Using a sharp knife, lightly crosshatch the circle's surface. Place the pastry circle over the vegetables, tucking in the excess dough down into the edges of the pan. Brush the crust lightly with the beaten egg.

5. Bake about 35 minutes or until the crust is puffy and golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Recipe courtesy of The Deen Bros. Cookbook "Y'all Come Eat"

Sharing with:
 Foody Friday @ Designs by Gollum
Inspiration Friday at the picket fence
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great recipe! Looks delicious. Can't wait to try this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been to The Lady & Son's in Savannah twice and both times I got the pot pie. It's gigantic and delicious! I will have to try yours out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish!! I love your recipe step by step for pot pie, we love chicken pot pie around here and I just posted my friend's recipe too! Hope you like to come and check it out. I'm also your follower, hope you like to follow if you haven't, as I'm loving your recipes. See you at Foodie Friday! Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~