Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tropical Back Porch Paradise

I have been working on decorating the back porch for at least a year now!  I have been so unsatisfied with everything I did or tried!  Before it just didn't seem to have any color.  I knew I wanted a tropical theme but nothing too kiddie like.
And now, I'm think I've almost got it!  I started by painting the fireplace mantel, which is Hunter's by the way.  It was originally in his gggrandfather's house.  It's just a little plain mantel befitting a little country farmhouse.  After I primed it, I put a coat of Beach Blue (Ace Hardware) on it.  It looked a little streaky, you could see a little of the white primer.  Tim and I both thought it looked beachy just like that, so I left it alone.  It really changed the look of the porch and got the ideas rolling in my head.
I filled in the area around the mantel with palm trees and ferns.  I picked up an outdoor rug last week at a yard sale for $5.  It's under the hammock which we all love! 
I needed a low table beside the hammock then I remembered the chest in my attic.  My aunt gave this to my sister when we was small so it's about 38 years old.  I'm considering painting it but haven't made my mind up yet.  There are my striped curtains in the background.  They are actually canvas tarps that I painted 4" stripes with the same paint as the mantel.
The fireplace screen is another recycled piece from the unfortunate house fire where we obtained the cabinets used in the china closet.
The table was purchased last year at a yard sale as well the big clam shell on the table.


Thank you for stopping!

UPDATE:  To see how I made the mantel artwork,click here.

Pin It

Sharing with:

Show Us Your Life @ Kelly's Korner
Show Us Your Outdoor Spaces @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Thrifty Treasures @ Southern Hospitality
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage 
Swing into Spring Party @ DIY by Design
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Thrifty Things Thursday @ The Thrifty Grove
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Thursdays Favorite Things @ Katherine's Corner

26 comments:

  1. Oh what a great porch. I love it and it looks soooooo inviting. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. How charming. I love your porch. Really cozy! Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely and charming place to hang out ... enjoy some morning coffee or afternoon ice tea or evening wine. Perhaps a nap on that wonderful porch swing ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tropical back porch paradise is beautiful! What a wonderful place to relax!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you on Pinterest , now I'm following .
    I love your porch .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your porch is gorgeous! Love it! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your porch looks so cozy, I love the hammock!


    Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my canisters makeover.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the lovely comments...Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so inviting and restful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so my taste! I love using that fireplace especially as it was a family piece. My husband has been hinting for a hammock for Father's Day. Beautiful job on a budget!

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so welcoming and cheerful. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Using a mantel as the focal point is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cozy and inviting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just lovely! a wonderful place to be....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a sweet spot to hang out in ! I love the mantle out there and the palms around it.
    I love the drapes you made, so clever. show us a close up of that.
    Eileen @ Cottage Beach House

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your porch looks so inviting...I do love the hammock! I'm now a follower and would love if you could follow me back. Tx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your porch. Looks like you get great shade so that you can enjoy it. Love the hammock.

    I am your newest follower, would love for you to visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the space..., and the theme of a relaxing tropical retreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks amazing! I love all your yard sale finds, it great to have such a beautiful space to enjoy this amazing weather!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great, very inviting! Love the Mantel and the curtains, adds a nice warm touch! Very Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Tammy! Just popping back by to check out your porch again. You are featured on Completely Coastal's blog today. We love your coastal inspired porch! I love the hammock! I used to have mine on the screened porch too but pulled it off to make room for a seating area and dining area last year. I love where yours is on your porch. You have reminded me I need to pull it back out to find a place for it outside near the pool now. Love,love,love your blog too, it's so inspiring for me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a great porch it makes me want to play in the sand. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop Big Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful and beachy and I love the history of the mantel!

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stopping by from Kelly's Korner ...your porch looks so restful ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Saved a couple pics of your beautiful porch to my "Every home needs a back porch" board on Indulgy.com. di @ subjectschosenatrandom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW!! So envious!!! Love all you have done - Totally inspired!!! Thanks for sharing!! Hugs, Theresa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~