Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pottery Barn Inspired Dispenser Tags


I love the Pottery Barn dispenser tags but I knew there had a less expensive way to make them.  I checked at Walmart and the Dollar Tree but the precut wooden disks they carried were too small.  I don't know about you but I need a little bit more space to write out "Lemonade" with chalk!  I know I could have probably went to Hobby Lobby or Michaels but I live about 40 miles away from the nearest one.  The size that Pottery Barn sold were 4 1/2 inches in diameter.  My next step was to try to make them out of a homemade baked clay.  FAILURE!  It puffed up in places in shouldn't.  So, I decided to make my own wooden disks.  We purchased a sheet of 1/4 inch smooth luan plywood.  This sells for about $18 so it's not cheap but I have other plans for it as well so it was worth it to me.

I cut a template out of poster board and Hunter cut out the disk for me.


He flew the coop on me before I could get him to drill holes but he had left this manual drill thingie on the side porch and I used it.


I painted them with several coats of chalkboard paint and inserted the jute string in the hole.


And here's my finished product!  They turned out pretty good if I may say so myself!  I'm looking forward to using them this summer.


Sharing with:

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage 
Inspiration Friday at the picket fence 

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Love them!! Hosting a party soon, will have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for literally taking things into your own hands!!! The prices of some of these things on the market today are just crazy, so when you're able to recreate the look, personalize it, AND save money, it's a triple threat!!! Great job, Tammy! I have silver beverage collars for about 20 different drinks (alcoholic and non), but for more laid back occasions these would be perfect! I'm not as ambitious as you, though, and I HATE to paint ANYTHING, so....I may have to get my friend to do some for me! :-) Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, good luck with your party! Thanks for visiting.....

    Nancy...Thank you!

    Alycia, I hate to paint to but nobody else will do it for me!!! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are just adorable! Thank you so much for sharing them with us at Inspiration Friday! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy!

    These little tags are so popular now and cost way too much! I really like the idea of making them yourself. You did a great job and they l
    look so cute, the posibilities are endless too!

    Thanks fo sharing at my party!

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit late looking at some of your older posts but I was intriged by the "you might want to see this" posts. I absolutely love the disks you cut out then applied chalk board paint to. I also have a big can of the Valspar chalk board paint and am always looking for ways to use it. I bought a piece of thin plywood few weeks ago so I could cut out projects when the urge hits, not have to drive into town to buy things.
    I have found that by the time I go into town and back I'm out of the mood. I love living out in country but there are times it's not necessarily convenient, have to plan ahead. We have a new True Value about 5 miles east of us but phewy the prices and they close at 6p.m. At least they have little bit of lumber and their sample cans of paint are $4 for a quart of paint, the best deal in the store.
    I'm going to be making these tags to sell. So glad you shared this project last year. Hope the tags will still be popular and desired. Found you thru: From my front porch to yours blog party. Love your blog and your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going back through some of your older posts and found this one on chalkboard signs....great job!

    Judith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~