Sunday, April 8, 2012

Civil War Utensils and Artwork


Last month I toured several beautiful homes at the Audubon Pilgrimage in St. Francisville, LA.  In my favorite home tour, I saw a young boy's room that had the following artwork.  It is framed linen fabric with arrows and the next one with dream catchers.  I was so impressed I sneaked a couple of pics very quickly.  That's why the quality is not that great.



I was immediately inspired to make something for my house seeing this idea.  I thought of the utensils that I had purchased at a yard sale several years back.  A lot of merchandise was from an antique store that had been opened years before.  A fellow thrifter told me they were from the Civil War and I immediately came home and check ebay and, lo and behold, there were something just like 'em.  Every since then, they have been stuck in a drawer.


I asked my husband if he would make me a frame out of some type of wood that I could poly.  He had some scraps of cedar moulding left over from a job and it took him all of 10 minutes to make it! 


After my coat of poly dried, I gathered a piece of cardboard, spray adhesive, and a piece of linen I picked up at the local Wal-Mart.  I didn't like the look of just the fabric on the cardboard and I didn't have any batting on hand, so I dug a thin towel out of the rag bag and used it between the two to give it a little more padded look.


I used a hot glue gun to mount the utensils.  I was afraid it wouldn't hold but so far so go.


Here's a close up of the fork.


And this is my finished product!  My fabric could have been pulled a little tighter but this was my first time using spray adhesive and it dried really fast, but I'm quite satisfied with it.  I already know where it's going, my new china closet, which I plan on revealing next week!  My husband better get on the ball and hang those last few doors for me.


Blessings, Tammy

Sharing with:

Metamorphisis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Tuesdays Treasures @ Myuncommon Slice of Suburbia
Swing into Spring Party @ DIY by Design
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage
Show Your Stuff @ Just Winging It
 Thrifty Things Thursday @ The Thrifty Grove
Thrifty Thursday @ Tales From Bloggeritaville
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch To Yours
Home Sweet Home Friday @ The Charm of Home 
Inspiration Friday @ the picket fence
Vintage Inspiration Friday   @ Common Ground
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Weekend Wrap-Up Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by our blog. I love your post - especially the utensils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy this is such a neat idea and display. Thanks so much for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool looking and awesome that you found authentic Civil War utensils! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to display vintage eating utensils.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I'm coming over from Debbie-Doo's. Now following you. Would love for you to visit me if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cute idea. Too bad I don't have any silverware worth framing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful way to display something you love. I like how your display turned out. I'm a new follower and would love for you to follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Civil War utensils is AWESOME!!! Like how you displayed in the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy those are fabulous finds and I love how you displayed them! Thanx for coming over to my place to party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you have done, it is such a unique and eye catching piece. If they are civil war pieces though I would NOT have glued them. You could have stitched them on. But anyhow that's just my idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! The cedar was a great choice for the frame. It really turned out wonderful. Thank you for sharing with us at TTF and have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~