Saturday, April 21, 2012

Vintage Sewing Machine Stands

Repurposed furniture....I guess the first piece I would think of is sewing machine stands.  I have had the one by the pool for about 23 years.  It has been used as a television stand, end table, night stand and now a little sideboard.  Before I had a wooden top of it but since I started using it on the patio, my husband made a concrete top for it.  The base has been white, black and now it's a taupe color with a terracotta stain on the concrete.
I use it when we eat outside to hold the serving dishes.  That's Fred in the background watching me, probably wondering what I'm doing!
This one is on my front porch.  I picked it up from a little antique yard sale.  It was already painted with this chippy green paint.  I love the shabby charm of it.  The wood top used to be on my other on.
There it is on the front porch.  I covered it with a tablecloth and set up a lemonade area for our guests at Easter.
Today, while I was out looking for yard sales, I stopped in at the local antique store "Crossroads Junktion."  This super cute table was made with a sewing machine stand and a suitcase. 
This is such a clever idea!  See the little extra "bling" they put on the clasps?  Last night an old suitcase went through the auction I attended, now I wish I would have got it!
This is another they had.  The top is longer and has a beautiful green finish.  The lady checking out before me bought, loaded it up and took it home with her!  There is just so many things you can do with a sewing machine stand.  Since it is iron, it can be used outside like I do with mine on the patio.  They can be used as desks, tables, islands, baby changing table or if you're lucky enough to have one with the machine, you can use it for it's intended use, a sewing machine.

Thanks for stopping by, I'm sharing with:

Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage 

6 comments:

  1. Really clever Tammy and oh so cute. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe I should take the old singer machine my parents keep trying to get rid of - your post has got my wheels turning with some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I'm always seeing old sewing machine stands at our local Goodwill...maybe I'll grab one next time I'm in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My computer desk is an old Singer treadle iron base with a wood top. I picked it up at an antique shop for cheap. I always say I'm the only person who can work a treadle while I blog...but I may be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea! Love how you use them outside. I'm going to have to keep my eyes out for an old sewing machine stand now. :-) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some great ideas. My in-laws keep trying to talk me into taking an old sewing machine that they have in their garage, (I'm the only person in the family that sews). Maybe I'll take them up on it. I have just the spot for this on my front porch! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~