Sunday, April 15, 2012

China Closet Reveal on a VERY Thrifty Budget


It's finally finished!  Well, almost....but I'm showing it to you anyway.  Remember the before?  Shamefully Messy!

During demolition, the tile floor, the popcorn on the ceiling, the old cabinets, and the peg board were removed.  Since the room was basically empty, except for the hot water heater, my husband tore out the wall beside the door and installed a pocket door.  I love the little extra room that this gives me.  You see, this room is very small, it's only 6 ft wide and 8 ft long. He installed tongue and groove pine floor, sheet rocked the peg wall and installed our salvaged cabinets . 

And here it is!


Wow, I'm even amazed by the difference in the pictures!  I MADE SURE the door stayed closed before but NOW I actually want it open so I can see it!  I used my Civil War art here.


This is a close up of the floor.  It is new pine that was stained with a mixture of Minwax Providential and Gunstock stain.  We then applied several coats of poly.


This is the top cabinet.  Remember they came out of a house that had partially burned down.  The cabinets were removed from the laundry area.  I can't believe they weren't in worst shape!  The ceiling had totally burned away but the cabinets only received water damage.  We brought them home and clean them up good with TSP cleaner, primed and painted them.  The top and middle cabinet was actually one long wall cabinet that my husband basically cut down the middle, separated and stacked on top of each other.  He used molding the cover the seams.


And this is the middle cabinet.  See all those orange, yellow and green dishes?  They recently all came from the Dollar Tree.  I used the blue plates and green bowls in my recent tablescape on the screened porch.  The colors are so bright and vibrant!


On the right wall is a tall cabinet with adjustable shelves.  I stored my platters here.  No, the bookends don't work to good at holding them up.  But I will tell you what does.  Short tension rods.  Yep, they sell them at camping supply stores, like Camping World.  I only had one in our camper and I tried it.  Next time, I'm at Camping World I'll pick up some for the china closet.  I actually got the idea from a pin from thriftydecorchick.


I was so happy to finally have somewhere to put my flatware chests and that heavy cooker on the bottom. See how I used pitchers and vases to hold flatware? Looks pretty, don't it? I can't take credit though. I saw in a picture from Pat at Back Porch Musings!


The adjustable shelf cabinet did not extend all the wall to the ceiling so my husband closed in the top and turned an extra door on it's side to use as the cabinet door.  The shelves over the freezer were already there but we are planning on putting doors here also.  This is why it's not totally complete.  We are going to wait until we come across some doors that fit.  The other little door you see to the left is actually an access door he built so we could get to the electrical box.  Oh and if he needs to get to the hot water heater, the adjustable shelf cabinet can easily be removed.


We purchased creamy white marble tile from Home Depot and used it on the top.


Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!  There is even a pull out ironing board!  The fabric did not even get wet or dirty.  Now I have a place downstairs to iron napkins and tablecloths! 

While, getting ready for Easter I mentioned that I needed to get an iron for downstairs.  And can you believe it?  Hunter said, "I have one!"  I told ya'll he was a collector of all things.  He brought me an avocado green iron that works GREAT!  It's better than the one I had upstairs.  It seems that this older iron gets hotter, which is better for ironing older linens.

Now, remember this a thrifty job, kinda use whatca got kinda thing.  So, how much did we spend?  Here's the breakdown:

$50 Pine Flooring
$20 Stain and Paint
$35 Sheetrock
$75 Heavy Duty Track for Pocket Door
$25 Molding
$10 Tile Adhesive
_________________________________

$215 Total

You can't get much thriftier than this!  We already had some paint and stain.  I spray painted the existing hardware from nickel to hammered bronze and we were blessed enough to be given the cabinets! 

Blessings, Tammy

Sharing with:
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Metamorphisis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Swing into Spring Party @ DIY by Design
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm Cottage 
Let's Dish @ Cuisine Kathleen  
Thrifty Things Thursday @ The Thrifty Grove    
Thrifty Thursday @ Tales From Bloggeritaville
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch To Yours
Home Sweet Home Friday @ The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at the picket fence 
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground 
Show and Tell Friday @ Romantic Home 
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk InteriorsPin It 

9 comments:

  1. Great job! Must feel wonderful to be so organized now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! Great way to use every bit of your space. ENJOY =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! Your husband did a great job! Know that you will enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya gotta love everything in it's place! Love that ironing board! I want one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Great job with a very small, narrow space. Cannot believe how much you've got in those cabinets. A treasure to have one of those ironing boards; perfect for the small stuff. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave this post a +1 on Google. It deserves a +1 x 1000!!!!! Fabulous! Way to go!!! Your husband is VERY handy, and leave it to good ol' Hunter to come through with an iron for you!!! I need an iron and ironing board on the main floor too, but I'm sure I'll never have it surrounded by such swanky digs as what you guys created here! This is totally fabulous!!!!!!!! Congratulations on a job VERY well done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I apologize for not replying to each comment. My reply button won't work for me. Thank you to everyone for all the lovely comments. I am blessed with a handy husband and son. I, too, love that ironing board and was so happy when my husband reminded me about it. I was going to put a regular drawer in there!!!! Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go! Tammy it turned out wonderful! And at a great price! Your hard work really paid off. Thank you for sharing with us at TTF. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~