Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Inspiration for the China Closet

Shamefully messy!
My utility room is a mess!  It's a catch all for just about everything! I'm also ashamed to even show it.  I was planning on re-working the shelves this spring to utilize the space.  I wanted it to be more of a storage area for my dishes and serve ware.  Then, we were given some cabinets!  Oh, yeah! but the sad part is that the owner's home had burned down, not 100%, but enough to be considered a total loss.  The cabinets were from the laundry area that had only received water damage.
Tall cabinet with shelves
The base cabinet is behind this bench that I kept to use for a pattern.
So now I'm in the planning stage.  Once we got them home, I starting measuring and measuring and measuring. I wanted to get as much storage space as possible.  We started by tearing everything out of the room, from the popcorn ceiling to the peel and stick floor.  We also removed the peg board from the side wall.  Of course, the water heater, electrical panel and freezer had to stay in. 

I do have some storage for my china besides in my kitchen cabinets.  I have this antique cabinet in my dining room where I store my good china and crystal along with some silver.

There is also the cabinet in the breakfast area.  My husband had it made for Mother's Day a couple of years ago.  The top holds my white dishes and the bottoms drawers holds glassware.

For inspiration, I went to one of my favorite sites, PINTEREST! I love this first one from bp.blogspot.com. I can really store some stuff in here, unfortunately my space is not this big.


The wall color is so pretty with all the white dishes. This picture was from spicerandbank.blogspot.com


The diamond pattern on this floor is awesome! This was pinned from ebeautifulshelter.blogspot.com   I considered using this on my floor but decided to go with tongue and groove pine to match the rest of
my home.

And, of course, Bunny Williams' has a spectacular layout for her storage area. Yes, I'm dreaming again! I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have the much space but a girl can dream, can't she?


Cote de Texas has that pretty black and white flooring as well but I really like the white marble counter tops!

My space is 6 feet wide and 8 feet long with a freezer and a hot water heater so my space is minimal.  Oh, and did I mention that this makeover is being done on a budget?  Yep, this is a budget makeover where I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck.  Hopefully next week I'll show you the finished room and you can see how I did.

Sharing with:

Wow Us Wednesday @  Savvy Southern Style
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Inspiration Friday @ The Picket Fence  
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Home Sweet Home Friday @ The Charm of Home 
Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Grove
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tater Tots and Jello
Show Your Stuff @ Just Winging It

11 comments:

  1. Your space may be smaller, but you can still apply the same principles and with a little creativity have something really functional and cool!!! I have faith in you! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your project. With your handy hubby, I'm sure it will be functional and beautiful! You have some great inspiration there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammy. This looks like a great idea. You are fortunate to have a handy hubby, it is so costly to hire projects like this out. I wanted to thank you for visiting and joining my blog....welcome! I am following you as well. Making new friends is the most fun part of blogging. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patsy. The Lord has blessed me with a handy hubby. If we couldn't do it ourselves, we wouldn't have nearly what we do have. Blessings, Tammy

      Delete
  4. I love your antique cabinet in your Dining Room. I have one very similar in my Den...

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, with this kind of inspiration, I just know it's going to be fabulous! Be sure to let us take a peek!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, love all the inspiration here! And I love that you are going to tackle your space in a thrifty way, I can't wait to see how it turns out! Thank you for joining TTF this past week and have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve because this is just wonderful so far. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. Look forward to the reveal.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~