Friday, March 2, 2012

Vintage Doors for a Garden Gate

Two years ago, we moved our fence across the back yard.  We left an opening for a gate that leads to my husband's shop are.  The fence was finished EXCEPT for the gate.  I got tired of looking at the mess around his shop and started brainstorming.  We always have old doors around and since the fence was 6 foot tall, I had my son hang two of them as a gate.  They still had the original finish.  The door to the right was from a house built in 1937.  We tore it down and used the lumber to build our home but that's another story!

Yes, they are crooked, but I like their charm.  My father-in-law has offered to take them down for me but I said no way.  I thinking he thinks they're ugly! Oh well, we like what we like! and I like this!
 
Crafty folks are using doors in all sorts of ways.  They use them to build tables as in this picture from
theuglybarnfarm.blogspot.com
Or a bookcase like at myrepurposedlife.net .....

Even though my doors are being used outside and they are not pressure treated, I think they'll last me a while anyway.  They don't really go with my backyard anymore since we put a pool in last year and landscaped the other areas in more of a tropical theme.  I still like them and will keep them until they fall down!  Ha Ha! then I'll go with a gate that blends with the rest of the yard.

Linking to:

Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Inspiration Friday @ the picket fence      
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Metamorphisis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage
Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer



12 comments:

  1. They look great! I bet they look even better in the summer with all the plants and flowers blooming.
    XO Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doors caught my eye "At The Picket Fence" today! I have a fascination with old rustic doors and windows. I am your newest follower~hope you will return the visit!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! I visited your pretty blog and became a new follower!

      Delete
  3. I love all of those uses for old doors. Habitat for Humanity stores are a great source for finding them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did with the old doors, it is such a cute idea.

    I am your newest follower, would love it if you followed back :o)

    Linking from BNOTP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really got to start looking at things outside of the box! What a great idea, looks fabulous, like they could really tell a story:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tammy, you've really inspired me with this post. what a great idea. love their patina and chippy charm! I'll be featuring this post on VIF tomorrow, thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your door gate! Doors are becoming so popular for alternative uses that we can't even find them in junk yards anymore. You're lucky to always have some around your place!
    Visiting via Outdoor Wednesday.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect solution! I also love old doors thanks for sharing. Warm hugs, Esther

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your doors and would keep them up too! About the chicken thing on my blog, I call them chicken coops but they're really chicken nesting boxes which doesn't roll of the tongue so easily. Kitty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~