Thursday, March 8, 2012

Flowering Dogwoods in the Tablescape

The beautiful little dogwood tree has exploded with white blossoms and reminds us that spring is just around the corner.  It grows across the South and is popular as a yard tree, but also grows wild in the woods across the region.  The legend holds that the tree was once very large and because its wood was strong and sturdy, it provided building material for a variety of purposes. According to the story, it was the dogwood tree that provided the wood used to build the cross on which Jesus was crucified. Because of its role in the crucifixion, it is said that God both cursed and blessed the tree. It was cursed to forever be small, so that it would never grow large enough again for its wood to be used as a cross for a crucifixion. At the same time, however, the tree was blessed so that it would produce beautiful flowers each spring, just in time for Easter.  The most unique part of the legend is that the petals of the dogwood actually form the shape of a cross. Upon close examination, it can be seen that the blooms of the tree always have four petals. And the tips of each of the petals are indented, as if they bear a nailprint. There are even colors in the petals that bring to mind the drops of blood that spilled during the crucifixion.

The legend of the dogwood tree, author unknown, is as follows:

In Jesus' time, the dogwood grew
to a stately size and lovely hue.
'Twas strong and firm, its branches interwoven.
For the cross of Christ its timbers were chosen.
Seeing the distress at this use of their wood
Christ made a promise which still holds good:
"Never again shall the dogwood grow
Large enough to be used so.
Slender and twisted, it shall be
With blossoms like the cross for all to see.
As blood stains the petals marked in brown,
The blossom's center wears a throny crown.
All who see it will remember Me
Crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.
Cherished and protected, this tree shall be
A reminder to all of My agony."

Now this is just a legend, as far as I know there is no biblical proof that the tree was a dogwood.  I just thought I'd share a little bit of trivia on the dogwood, which brings me back to my tablescape.


I have always loved a green and white tablescape, I thought I'd use this opportunity to do another one. In the center of the table is my son's oil lamp with a green globe.  On each side of that are two glass vases with dogwood branches that were cut from our yard. 

My place setting consists of green bordello plates that I recently purchased at the Trash to Treasure sale with white bowls. The green stripe glasses were a thrifty find, along with the Mikasa wine glasses. 

The silverplated flatware is Roger's Daffodil from  the 1940's. I have about 20 place settings that I use for Easter every year.  The green and white napkins are from JCPenney.

The green pitcher is made by Paden City Pottery.  My husband actually found it under an old house and brought it home to me.  Hey, I'll keep it!  Happy Spring Everyone!

Some information obtained from http://southernhistory.blogspot.com/2010/04/legend-of-dogwood-tree-is-southern.html

Linking to:

Tablescape Thursday @ Between Naps on the Porch

2 comments:

  1. I love the green china! Your table is beautiful! Thanks for sharing,Joann
    Please come and follow me back I lost my blog and had to start over

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely loved your tables capes and the "legend" which may or may not be true, is beautiful. The simple elegance of your table makes it truly lovely and the greens are impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~