Monday, March 19, 2012

My Kitchen

In the years since we built our house, about the only thing that has remained unchanged is our cabinets and beadboard.  The beadboard is all old beadboard that was removed from the house we tore down.  You can read about that here.  The cabinets are one thing that we did hire someone to make for us even though we installed them.  Originally the walls were yellow with a blue laminate countertop and beadboard backsplash.  A couple of years ago, we painted it this neutral color and changed out the laminate for granite tile.  I know, I know, some people say tile is for floor but in our neck of the woods a lot of VERY nice homes use tile.  It is significantly cheaper that purchasing solid granite.
This is the kitchen approximately 4 years ago.  Since then we have removed the beadboard backsplash and installed the travertine. 
Before
And now..
Before the island was smaller with no seating space...
Before
And now...
...it has been enlarged.  My husband actually unbolted it from the floor moved in toward the sink area by about 12 inches. He removed the granite on two side edges and added an additional foot of plywood using the corbels for support. He then re tiled the new section with matching materials.  The result?  a little extra seating area.  I really wanted stools with a back but I felt it would make the area appear smaller so I went with the saddleback stools.
Before..
My breakfast area was one built in bench with a rectangle table and two chairs. 
And now...
Last year, my husband added on to wrap it under the window.  I changed out the rectangle table for the round.  I want to put a chair or two at the table also but haven't found the perfect ones yet. 
Late last year, I was standing in line at JCP and spotted these curtains on display and promptly fell in love.  The black floral with leopard trim definitely caught my eye. A couple of months ago, I found all the pillows on the benches for $4 a piece at JCP.  Yeah, I tend to shop there alot. 
My husband had the china cabinet built for me a couple of years ago for Mother's Day. 
Originally, there was a small desk here but we removed it and had a set of pot drawers small.  I love the deep drawers, not only for pots but small appliances as well.

My before pictures were originally posted on Rate My Space.  If you would like to see more, click here.
Linking to:

Show Us Your House @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Newbie Party @ DebbieDoos
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Tuesdays Treasures @ Myuncommon Slice of Suburbia
Thrifty Thursday @ Tales from Bloggeritaville


14 comments:

  1. The bigger island top looks so much better. I bet you will really appreciate it when it is time to bake Christmas cookies, and you can spread everything out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Kitchen is beautiful, You have one some great updates. Thanks for sharing. Happy to be anew follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. I'll head on over to your space and return the favor!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful kitchen and all your updates are fabulous!! Love the larger island and love the wrap around bench. Just became your newest follower :) Stop on by when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks magnificent! Much warmer and so inviting! I am looking forward to checking out your before, during and after. I'd love for you to come over and check out our home before&after's, too.
    Now following with GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say....I love your kitchen both ways but then you were probably tired of the look and wanted to change. Your kitchen is gorgeous. I'm a new follower. Come on over and visit my place.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm stopping by from Debbie-Doo's ...

    Such a beautiful space ... love all your changes and enhancements!

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. your kitchen looks so warm and inviting. Having seating around the island is so great for conversation. I like your glass containers on your island - they look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so besides the fact that your kitchen is gorgeous and totally in my taste, I love the fact that you found a teensy tiny space for a small work of art and your apron. I so want to hang my apron somewhere in my kitchen but don't have any extra wall space. You my dear are inspirational. Love the granite tile too. Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a beautiful home and yard. I just love to read about all your DIY and reusing. It is great to see such a beautiful home and have you explain how it came to be. So glad I found this blog :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~