Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Foyer Chest Redo

I purchased this little chest from a local shop for my entry way area.  I have been searching for years, YES, years, for a piece to put here. This area is compact but I wanted a piece that had some storage.  The store owner had painted the lower part a lighter green and the top a gold.  Sadly, once I got it inside, I realized I didn't like the gold top with my wall color. 

This past week I finally did something about it.  My son sprayed the top with a paint stripper and stripped the paint off.  I finished by sanding it on down to get the stripper and any left over paint off.  I stained the top with a brown mahogany and topped it off with a couple of coats of wax.

The mirror over the chest was also purchased from her shop.  She had a pair but I kept putting off buying them and then she sold one.  I got the other quick and have never regretted it.  I love the bamboo frame.

Since we are in this area of our home and it's not very big, I'm going to give you a LITTLE tour. This is the stairway to the second floor.  When we first built our home, the rail came straight down and the post was more boxy.  A couple of years ago, my handy hubby redid the last couple of steps to extend out a little farther and added the spiral railing to make it look a little more fancy.  I was afraid that it would make this area more closed it but it didn't and I was very happy with the results.


Since we use the coat closet for our coats, I have a coat rack for guest that displays a small collection of walking canes.  I even accent the coat rack.  At the moment it has a zebra striped scarf made by my mother in law.  In the warmer months, I hang a straw hat on it.  I came across this picture that was the perfect size to hang beside the rack.  It adds to the tropical flair in this area.

To see how the chest is decorated for Christmas, click here.


Linking to:

Show Us Your Foyers & Mudrooms @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Show Us Your Life @ Kelly's Korner
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Bunny Hop @ Bunny Jeans Decor and More
March Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Open House Tour @ No Minimalist Here
Inspiration Friday @ the picket fence
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, I love the wood top. Why isn't MY son sanding furniture for me? hmmmmmm. You have a lovely entryway and you found the perfect piece to put in it.
    XO Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cindy! I visited your blog today! Your sideboards beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pale blue is a beautiful shade. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your entry! Very inviting! I've got to do some rearranging myself. Thanks for linking and sharing your inspiration!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a beautiful piece and the new finish on top is perfect! Your entry entry is lovely and we are so glad you shared it with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~