Monday, February 20, 2012

Where do you feel God?

I received a Kindle Touch for my birthday and downloaded some free books.  A really great one that I wanted to share is "40 Unforgettable Dates with your Mate."  It is written by a Christian couple offering advice on how to improve your marriage.  The first date for the wives to initiate is to ask your husband where he feels closer to God? and then plan a date there. The book then gives some suggestions on topics of conversation for your date and so on.  One suggestion was to purchase a day by day devotional to do with your spouse, not necessarily together though.  Leave it in a central location, where each of you will see if and remember to read over the days scripture.  You are also to highlight any parts that really speak to you.  The author is trying to set it up where the husband is the spiritual leader in the home which is the way it should be.  Well, I thought "This is a good idea!"

No, I'm not saying my marriage is in trouble or anything like that.  I'm just saying there is always room for improvement in any situation.  And who doesn't want a loving and respectful marriage where good communication occurs?  I approached my husband and let him know I had a question to ask him and I told him this is not a trick question so don't go all crazy on me.  His answer?  It was exactly as I feared!  In the DEER STAND!
No, his doesn't look this bad!
Now, look here, I did hunt with my dad when I was a youngster but those days are over!  But I told myself, you have to do this!  I think God was listening in on my thoughts because my husband had already taken all his deer stands down since the season is over.  Tell me God doesn't answer prayers!  Just kidding! (well, kind of) 

So, I offered to go with him to my brother-in-law's camp for the day. No, it isn't a camp with such luxuries as electricity!  It's just a basic cabin in the woods close to a lake, close to the river.  Does that make sense?  I told him I would pack us a picnic lunch and we would make an afternoon of it.  He still doesn't know the reason why I brought it up but it'll be a good conversation for that day.

I do agree with my husband though.  I also feel closer to God in the great outdoors.  Especially on a beautiful day with a clear blue sky, listening to the birds chirping.  Hey, wait, that's what I'm hearing now.  Yes, I am sitting on my front porch looking and llistening to all God's creation.  God is truly AWESOME! 

Okay, let me back up a minute.  As I said, I do agree with my husband about the outdoors.  BUT I was thinking about sitting on a blanket beside a lake, watching the sunshine shimmering on the water, listening to the birds, looking for those early telltale signs of spring.....
NOT trying to climb up into a deer stand 20 or 30 feet off the GROUND! and the operative work here is TRYING!!  But God was looking out for me and now our date is set in a location that is lower to the ground.  I think my husband is a little excited about it, too.  It's been a long time since we have had such a, shall I say, rustic date.  When our children were young and money was very tight, we had a lot of little
picnics.  I miss those days and, you know, even though, New Year's Day has long passed, I think I'll set a resolution.  2012 is the year for picnics!

I just wanted to share this with you.  Maybe it'll cause some of you to pause for a second and ask yourself, "Where do I feel closer to God?"  If so, please share by leaving a comment.

Linking to:

Inspiration Friday @ at the picket fence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~