Thursday, January 24, 2013

How to Cook Green Beans the Old Fashioned Way


The number one Google  search that brings visitors to my blog is my recipe for butter beans!  To see that post, click here.  Instead of fancy recipes, a lot of people are just looking for basic recipes.  I’m no great cook by any means and it was probably 20 years before I figured out how to cook butterbeans!  Now, I want to share how I cook green beans or, as some say, snap beans!
 
old fashioned green bean recipe
 
Old Fashioned Green Beans
2  heaping tablespoons of bacon grease
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/2 small onion, chopped
29 ounce can of cut green beans
chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste
1.  Melt bacon in medium stock pot.
2.  Add garlic and onions, sauté until soft.
3. Add green beans, tossing until coated.
4.  Add pepper.
5.  Add chicken broth, enough to cover beans.
6.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook approximately 20 minutes. 
7.  Add salt last.  Since the chicken broth has it’s own salt you don’t want to add to much.
 
That’s it.  Very easy but very loaded with flavor.  I don’t actually measure out the ingredients so you can adjust them to fit your taste.  Even though bacon grease is used, the beans will not be oily, if they are you have used too much grease.  The grease is only to provide the flavor!
 
old fashioned green bean recipe
 
Just a simple little recipe for the family cook!  Thanks for stopping by!
 
Sharing with:
Foodie Friday @ Designs by Gollum
On the Menu Monday @ StoneGable
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Back for Seconds Social @ Back for Seconds
Tabletop Tuesday @ A Stroll thru Life

9 comments:

  1. Green beans are one of my favorite veggies. Grew up on them and I cook them too. Your recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to tour your blog, I'll be following now.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"ve signed up for your email so I won't miss anything.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! Old fashioned green beans are always favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - that's exactly how we used to eat them - thanks for this - I will definitely be making them this way!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy,
    You are so right these are the awesome Old Fashioned Green Beans that we love, this is a great recipe. Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your tasty recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, green beans are so good with a little bacon grease!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer to cook pole beans, but they are worse than scarce in the Dallas area. Green beans just do not have the good flavor they do. Thanks for posting this recipe, I think green beans will taste great cooked this way. I am a new follower. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love beans this way, but haven't had them for years! Going to pin this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~