Thursday, June 21, 2012

Shrimp Stew - For the Recipe Box


Shrimp again!  Remember Miss Lucy from PBS?  I shared her Shrimp Casserole and Dirty Rice that I wrote down from her show.  Well, recently I bought a box of cookbooks from an auction just because I saw her cookbook and several of Justin Wilsons.  This past week I tried her Shrimp Stew.


It was VERY easy to make.  It had to be simmered for a short time which I was a little worried about because I didn't want the shrimp to overcook but I decided to follow the recipe to the "T" and it worked out fine.

SHRIMP STEW

3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oil
1 quart water
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
2 pounds peeled shrimp
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions

Brown flour to make roux.  Gradually add water, then add onions and bell pepper.  Allow to slow boil for 30 minutes.  The gravy should be thick.  Add shrimp, salt and pepper and chopped green onion tops.  Medium boil for 20 minutes.  Turn off heat and serve.  Serves 4-6

I served mine over rice.


And there you have it!  I don't know if this will be my go to for Shrimp Stew in the future but it is in the running!

Pin It

Sharing with:

Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Foody Friday @ Designs by Gollum
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
On the Menu Monday @ StoneGable  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy,
    Wow, this looks like an awesome Shrimp Stew, we would just love it! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I'm hungry for it just looking at the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~