Friday, May 17, 2013

Deep Fried Okra as an Appetizer?

 

deep fried okra

 

When I was younger I was not an okra fan!  You couldn’t pay me to eat it!  As I’ve gotten older, I have discovered the benefits of using okra to thicken gumbo’s and stews but the way I really love it, is fried!  Not only does it make a great side dish but an appetizer as well!

 

deep fried okra

 

DEEP FRIED OKRA

 

cut okra

meal mixture (equal parts of corn meal and flour)

milk

salt

pepper

frying oil

 

Soak okra in milk for 30-60 minutes.  Roll in meal mixture.  Add salt and pepper.  Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.

 

deep fried okra

 

That’s it, a little messy but very easy and taste delicious!

 

Sharing with:

Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home

Be Inspired @ Common Ground

Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm

Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
See Ya in the Gumbo @ Ms. enPlace

On the Menu Monday @ StoneGable

Tabletop Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life

Back for Seconds Social Part @ Back for Seconds

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy! Oh, I just love fried okra! My mother can make the very best! My kids would never eat okra or squash but my mother would bread both and fry them and they loved it! :)
    I cheat now that I'm old and buy the frozen breaded kind and I can eat the entire bag.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, I remember the first time this Yankee ate fried okra...I very apprehensively put a small piece into my mouth, just knowing I wouldn't like that slimy vegetable...I loved it and have made it several times. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love deep fried Okra but have never made it myself. I need to try this! I would love if you shared this with my link party, Share Your Cup Thursday. It's about sharing what makes you happy.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love okra too Tammy! Yours looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH YUM! I love fried okra, I could eat it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like okra when I was a child either. But now I like it best stewed w/ tomatoes, fried, and roasted. This would be a great appetizer! Thanks for sharing w/ See Ya in the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~