Monday, February 18, 2013

DIY Numbered Mugs


diy numbered mugs

After Christmas, while hitting the sales, I came across the last mug tree at Pottery Barn.  At first I didn’t even look at the ticket because I knew it was out of my price range, but while checking out, I glanced over at it and saw it was on sale.  It was marked down to $59.99 from $149.99!  I didn’t get it right away because it was a little bigger that what I wanted but I also knew that the cheapest one that I had found online was $80 for a small one!  After shopping the mall for awhile, I went back to PB and grabbed it up!
 
Pottery Barn Mug Tree
 
I was afraid that it would be too big but it works pretty good on the island!
 
diy numbered mugs
 
My nephew gave me a dozen ironstone mugs to use for this project.  I purchased a porcelain pen from Hobby Lobby and painted the numbers on by hand.  I was too impatient to try to find some stencils or to make them.  I was inspired by these numbered mugs from Anthropologie.
 

After I painted them, I let them dry for 4 hours, then baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.   My nephew did the same things for some other mugs but he just used a regular sharpie and I really didn’t see any difference!
 
diy numbered mugs
 
mug tree
 
There is even enough space to store some ironstone plates on top!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Tammy
 
Sharing with:
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Make it Pretty @ The Dedicated House
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Tabletop Tuesday @ A Stroll thru Life
Centerpiece Wednesday @ The Style Sisters
Open House @ No Minimalist Here
Tuesdays Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Cowgirl Up @ The Farmhouse Porch
Be Inspired Friday @ Common Ground
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Fabulously Creative Party @ Jennifer Rizzo
Tweak it Tuesday @ Cozy Little House
Tips, Tutorials, & Tidbits @ StoneGable
Winter Blues Party @ DIY by Design
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Overflowing with Creativity @ It's Overflowing
March Before & After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick

26 comments:

  1. Glad you went back to PB as it looks fantastic on the island!...I love that piece! The mugs from your nephew turned out great..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley! I love it, too! The tag said that it would start to rust over time....something to do with what it's made of! When that happens, it really will look like a vintage french bottle tree!

      Delete
  2. This project turned out really well, Tammy. the cups look awesome on y our kitchen counter...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy what cool mugs!Yes I found a French bottle rack a while back.But you got a steal price on yours!Thanks for sharing this project!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mugs look great and I love your mug rack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this mug rack and your mugs.. FABULOUS job .. YOU are so creative. I cant wait to see what you do next.. As always LOVE your blog
    ........................Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, Tammy! I'm glad you explained how to do this, I'd like to try it. Of course I have to find a mug tree! lol!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is unreal! Your mugs and your mug rack are awesome, I totally love it! You are so talented sweet friend, and it's always so great to come by your blog. Thank you for your sweet and kind comment on my finds. Have a good week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine all kinds of use for this tree - just add food and you have a party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy, Wow! You really got a terrific deal all around on the mug tree and those mugs are what I have been looking for, too. Love the numbering idea, too. Thanks for your recent visit. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous mug tree! I know you are glad you went back and got it. I love how you added the numbers to the cups. It looks so pretty. Beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tammy, these are awesome. They look fabulous on your vintage mug rack (that I want!!) Perfect!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. BOY...I would have bought it, too. It's adorable and the cups are sooo cute. You did a great job on them.
    Gonna link up to follow...come by when u can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your rack and the mugs! Great job....I can only imagine if I had attempted the numbers without stencils! lol Yours look great. Don't you love a good buy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun and so creative. I love this idea. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, those are so cute! Thanks for sharing about the pens..I'll have to give it a try ;)
    Jamie ~ Better With Age

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a great idea. I didn't know you could do this. love the rack too. I bought one from World Market and it is too short, wish I'd gone to Pottery Barn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mugs look great! I love those mug racks too....great sale price :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your idea with the mugs. Anthropologie sure offers great inspiration. I drooled over the PB mug rack and there was one left on sale just like you saw but I passed on it. You lucky girl. What fun it will be for a hot chocolate stand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the look of your mugs. Simple is beautiful. Can't wait to try painting a mug now that I know how to. I think it will be a fun project to do with my kids. If it turn out I will post it on my blog:0)
    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These turned out wonderful! Sorry I am so late in visiting from last week's party. It has been a hectic week. thank you for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love how they turned out! I think I may need to try my hand at some too. I just adore all things numbered!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments! I try to return the favor and visit each one of you! ~Blessings, Tammy~