Hello, everyone! Do you like good home cooking? I do! There’s nothing better than an big pot of white beans along with a skillet of hot corn bread! It’s the ultimate comfort food!
This is the secret to this dish, smoked pork, along with the garlic and onions! Here’s the recipe…
Old Fashioned White Beans
dry white northern beans, I used about 3/4 lb for a family of four
1/2 of small onion, chopped
2-3 teaspoons of minced garlic
smoked pork pieces
salt & pepper
1. Rinse beans, put in bowl and cover with water. Let soak until time to put in pot.
2. In a medium to large stock pot, put in smoked pieces and cover with water. Add onions and garlic. Let boil for about 30 minutes.
3. Drain beans and add to pot. Add salt and pepper, along with a little more water.
4. Bring to a full boil, reduce to a low boil. Cook for approximately 2 hours, adding more water and salt as needed. While cooking, the beans will soften and will thicken to water, making a gravy.
5. Optional – About 30 minutes before done, add sliced sausage.
That’s it! An easy, inexpensive meal! My husband is a big meat eater, so I put in the sausage but, personally, the beans are just find without it. The smoked pork is what is giving it the great flavor! You can serve them over rice and alone in bowl. It’s really great with a skillet of hot cornbread. For the cornbread recipe, click here.
Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!