After a very slow renovation, the sunroom is almost finished! It has been a year since this project was started. I told my husband that if he finishes this, I will never ask him to do a project like this again!
This is what it looked like before when it was screened in. To see more of the before, click here.
The gas fireplace has been installed and the stacked ledge stone is almost complete here.
Here is little tip for you, instead of using sheetrock between the windows use 1/4 luan plywood. By using this you won’t have to tape and float the sheetrock. After priming, seal with some caulk and paint. So much easier!
My husband used 2 pieces of old lumber that were about 4 inches thick and glued them together to make the mantel. The boards were only 6 inches in width and I wanted a little more depth to the mantel. He also made the corbels. He attached the mantel from the inside of the fireplace using some very long, very expensive screws. He installed some of the tongue and groove pine above the mantel vertically. This makes the ceiling height seem taller even though it is 11 or 12 feet ceilings in here already!
I have the kids here hard at work staining the new pine floor! It wasn’t really that hard! I figured since they were older they could do this now. Before when we did the rest of the house, they were quite a bit younger and I stained the entire thing myself. It wasn’t hard, it’s just rough on your knees and back. After this dries, my husband will be starting on the poly coats.
After the floor is completed, baseboards will go down and some built in cabinets will go on each side of the fireplace. That’s why the crown molding's not completed around the fireplace.
This post was actually written last year. The room is about 95% completed and I will be posting more on it.
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Show and Tell @ Coastal Charm
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll thru Life